This course is funded by the ESFA and only available for those eligible. Please click here to check eligibility before continuing.
NCFE Level 1 Award in Creative Media Production
NCFE Level 2 Certificate in IT User Skills
During your weekly online Zoom classes, you will learn how to:
Use WordPress, the world's most popular web development platform to create a professional looking website
Apply SEO (search engine optimisation) to your website to be found through Google searches
Set up an online store to sell products and take payments
Optimise your website for both desktop and mobile use
Use tips and tricks from a design expert
This introductory course will allow you to explore the concepts, tools and techniques used in web design in order to create a website of your very own. You will be personally guided through your learning journey by a web design expert who will assist you in achieving your design goals. This course is aimed at complete beginners but will also benefit those with some design experience as you learn the correct way of creating a website in Wordpress. Please click on 'Select course dates' on the yellow form at the bottom of this screen to check course dates and times (UK time shown, check here to see the time difference in your zone).
Session 1 - (2 hours)
- Introduction to web design principles, terms and definitions
- Different types of websites and their key features (e-commerce, blogs, business, portfolio etc.)
- Using essential tools and techniques within Wordpress
Session 2 - (2 hours)
- What a design brief is and how to write one
- Best file types to use for web design
- Using essential tools and techniques within Wordpress to begin website production
Session 3 - (2 hours)
- Mobile optimisation
- Improving load speed
- Search engine optimisation
- Creating your own website in response to your design brief under the supervision of your expert
Session 4 - (2 hours)
- A further exploration of tools and techniques within Wordpress
- Using apps to improve your site (e-commerce, booking system, payment system etc.)
- Finalising and publishing your completed website under the supervision of your expert
Classroom videos recorded and uploaded to your Google Classroom to reinforce learning
Plenty of slideshows, handouts and other resources that are yours to keep
A selection of websites made under the guidance of an expert tutor.
WHAT OTHERS SAY
"Great web design course today learnt loads now off to put it all into practice. 5 star"
how to enrol
1. Book your space on the course of your choice below
2. If you have entered a Gmail account when enrolling, then a link to your Google Classroom will be emailed to you shortly. If you do not have a Gmail account, then please create one and email this to ASAP.
3. Send us proof of eligibility confirming your age and address - see here for more information
4. Log into the Google Classroom and prepare yourself for study by completing the pre-course activities (this will all be clearly explained in the online classroom)
5. Attend weekly live Zoom classes with your expert teacher and fellow learners (4 in total)
6. Complete and upload assignments to your drive in Google Classrooms. These are marked by our assessment team who will notify you if you have passed or not. If you have not passed, you will be given feedback on what needs to be adapted so that you can re-submit
7. Once your pass has been confirmed, a digital copy of your certificate will be emailed to you for free upon request (we can mail physical certificates to any UK address for £20 per batch upon request)
• You will need to create a free WordPress account in order to use the online design software - please see the information in your Google Classroom for how to set this up
• Please be aware that these are accredited qualifications – therefore you will be required to do both homework and paperwork as part of your learning with Spotlight Multimedia. These elements are non-negotiable and must be completed if you wish to participate in our free courses
LEVEL 1 AND 2
Level 2 courses are a continuation of level 1 learning, in which advanced tools and techniques are covered. You must have completed the level 1 course before enrolling onto the level 2.