with an expert
During your weekly online Zoom classes, you will learn how to:
Use WordPress, the world's most popular web development platform to create a professional looking website
Apply SEO (search engine optimisation) to your website to be found through Google searches
Set up an online store to sell products and take payments
Optimise your website for both desktop and mobile use
Use tips and tricks from a design expert
This introductory course will allow you to explore the concepts, tools and techniques used in web design in order to create a website of your very own. You will be personally guided through your learning journey by a web design expert who will assist you in achieving your design goals. This course is aimed at complete beginners but will also benefit those with some design experience as you learn the correct way of creating a website in Wordpress. Please click on 'Select course dates' on the yellow form at the bottom of this screen to check course dates and times (UK time shown, check here to see the time difference in your zone). Whilst the course comprises of 4 formal sessions, you are given an extended period of time to work carefully and considerately on constructing your designs and answering your worksheets to the best of your ability, under guided supervision and with recourse to a huge amount of Spotlight Multimedia’s learning resources (videos, instructional worksheets, forum dialogues etc.) which can be accessed throughout the entire 21/22 academic year. By completing this course, you will earn a Level 1 qualification from NCFE or BTEC, this will be discussed with you further during induction.
Session 1 - (2 hours)
- Introduction to web design principles, terms and definitions
- Different types of websites and their key features (e-commerce, blogs, business, portfolio etc.)
- Using essential tools and techniques within Wordpress
Session 2 - (2 hours)
- What a design brief is and how to write one
- Best file types to use for web design
- Using essential tools and techniques within Wordpress to begin website production
Session 3 - (2 hours)
- Mobile optimisation
- Improving load speed
- Search engine optimisation
- Creating your own website in response to your design brief under the supervision of your expert
Session 4 - (2 hours)
- A further exploration of tools and techniques within Wordpress
- Using apps to improve your site (e-commerce, booking system, payment system etc.)
- Finalising and publishing your completed website under the supervision of your expert
Classroom videos recorded and uploaded to your Google Classroom to reinforce learning
Plenty of slideshows, handouts and other resources that are yours to keep
A selection of websites made under the guidance of an expert tutor.
WHAT OTHERS SAY
"Great web design course today learnt loads now off to put it all into practice. 5 star"
how it works
1. Complete the yellow form below and select which course dates you would like to attend
2. You will be sent a booking confirmation email with a link to enrolment. Follow this link and complete all enrolment forms. This includes an initial assessment form that will help your tutor to understand your current skill level and plan their classes accordingly to best support you
3. You will then be emailed an enrolment confirmation with a link to your Google Classroom (what is Google Classroom?)
4. Your Google Classroom will contain all information relevant to your course - including links to live Zoom sessions, qualification worksheets and messages from your tutor
5. Sessions take place online via Zoom one evening per week from 6pm - 8pm. Live sessions contain a mixture of practical and theoretical activities and are delivered by your expert tutor who will support you in your learning journey
6. You will be assigned homework tasks each week (worksheets and practical tasks) which should take between 1-2 hours to complete per week (completion of coursework is mandatory as a condition of undertaking our free courses - those not completing coursework without notifying their tutor will be removed)
7. Your tutor will mark your work on a weekly basis and help you to submit all work at the highest grade possible.
8. When successful, your tutor will send you a confirmation of achievement. You can then claim your certificate
• You will need to create a free WordPress account in order to use the online design software - please see the information in your Google Classroom for how to set this up
• Please be aware that these are accredited qualifications – therefore you will be required to do both homework and paperwork as part of your learning with Spotlight Multimedia. These elements are non-negotiable and must be completed if you wish to participate in our free courses
LEVEL 1 AND 2
Level 2 courses are a continuation of level 1 learning, in which advanced tools and techniques are covered. You must have completed the level 1 course before enrolling onto the level 2.
Complete this form ONLY if you are eligible for free courses (evidence of eligibility is required before starting).
WHAT If i'm not eligible?
If you aren't eligible for free training with us, you can still undertake this course for just £295. Please go to www.spotlightmultimedia.co.uk/payment to make payment and book your place.